Please share these social stories that I wrote with your children so they know what to expect as they return to school on Thursday 3rd September. Click on your class name to take you to the document. You may have been sent them already by the staff in your classes, but I just wanted to make sure they were all together in one place so you could find them easily. We can't wait to see you!
In these difficult times it is really important that we look after ourselves and each other:
- Free online counselling service for 11-18 year olds www.kooth.com
- Free well-being apps also suitable for children:
- Wysa – talk to a penguin character, an emotionally intelligent chatbot that uses AI to react to your emotions!
- Smiling Mind - This app has great body scan meditations to help children develop the awareness of what’s happening in their bodies. Learning about what’s happening in your body is one of the first steps of an authentic mindfulness practice.
- Three Good Things: A Happiness Journal.- This app is simple and easy-to-use, helping children focus on the positive and recognizing what went well today. (Ages 6 and up.) Every child gets to list three things daily that went well, which begins to train their mind to look for things to appreciate and begin a gratitude practice.
- The Samaritans are there to listen. Tel: 116123
- National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) – 0808800500 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remember that routine helps children (and will help you). Try to have a routine for the day – get learning done and allow for ‘downtime’ together and apart.
- The children are used to using drawing, mindfulness, dance and exercise as ways of protecting their wellbeing. Look on YouTube for Just Dance and Go Noodle (the children love these). Try to make mindfulness part of your routine. There are lots of videos, activities and story yoga on YouTube and now there are also nine Mindful Monday videos that I've recorded for the children! Scroll down the page to see more.
- Keep connected with each other and remember it is ok to feel worry or concern but you don’t need to be alone with your feelings.
Pastoral Support Manager
New!! Thrive sessions with Mrs Waller!
Scroll below to find Thrive videos, similar to group or 1:1 sessions (also known as Nurture time) that some children share with me in school.
Meet Perry the Parrot!
Do a simple but fun craft activity!
Watch Mrs Waller's Resilience Challenge!
Listen to a story! (Usually a wellbeing theme)
Do a breathing exercise!
Play 'Would You Rather...?'!
Scroll down to see the Mindfulness videos with Mrs Waller!
Updated with a new video each week to help you relax and take a moment away from any worries. Enjoy!