Overview of Lesson 1
Monday 22nd June - Session one
• Where is the island in the song?
• What images are conveyed by the music?
Please watch the videos below:
Harry Belafonte - Island In The Sun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Gbk4i41_M
Harry Belfonte - Jamaica Farewell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFlWtlDRqk
2. Locate the islands and nations of the Caribbean on the World Map. (a picture below as well as the PDF of the session: go to pages 29 to 34.
• Where is the Caribbean Located?
• What do I know about the Caribbean region?
• What sources can be used to find out about the Caribbean region?
3. When and why were African people enslaved in the Caribbean region? Read pages 35-37 this will explore a little bit of the history of the Caribbean with Britain.
4. Read through the rest of the pages for lesson one (pages 38 - 46). Studies the island pictures well as there is a fun Caribbean quiz to complete on the following link: https://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3129
5. Pages 51 - 54 images from Jamaica before 1948.